BRIEF COURSE INFORMATION
Are you someone who has a comprehensive interest in training the arts or social sciences but feels uncertain as to how far or in what direction you would like to pursue that interest? Are you someone who would like to earn a substantial academic grade but feel daunted by the idea of a long three or four year commitment? Are you someone who prefers training by doing, through participation in projects and activities? Are you someone who might flourish under the very close aid and extended aid of a team of dedicated lecturers? Are you searching for inspiration and ideas as to what to do in the future? Or are you just curious about life and wish to reflect upon it through the prism of ideas and theories derived from some of the admirable thinkers of the past and present?
If you can results yes to one or more of the questions above, then the Higher Certificate in Arts may be the educational option that is best for you. An entirely rare offering within the Irish educational landscape, the Higher Certificate in Arts is a two-year programme of arts training which can serve equally well as a significant achievement and grade in its own right and as an extended and guided growth of transition into higher grades of study. As well as building knowledge and developing intellectual and academic skill to perform across a very diverse range of areas, the programme fosters the training of a comprehensive set of critical skill to perform and competencies readily transferrable to a variety of work-related contexts.Programme Aims and Objectives
The primary aim of the Higher Certificate in Arts is to prepare you for future challenges, whether those challenges lie in the areas of study or work. The objectives of the programme can be summarised as follows:
- To give a substantial and extended introduction to a range of subjects available for study within the arts and social sciences.
- To prepare students for the challenges of training single subjects at higher levels.
- To develop an understanding of how different academic disciplines or subjects engage and explore different and correlated approach and issues.
- To facilitate the training of writing, oral presentation and IT skills.
- To develop the practice of writing in a range of conventions, forms and styles suitable to different academic subject or disciplines.
- To facilitate in the training of independent study, research and training skills.
- To facilitate in the training of team-working, project-management, time business and careers skills.
- To offer the chance for superior grades entry onto honours grade programmes of training and coaching in subject areas correlated to the content of the programme.